This morning our dog Moe got bit by a baby rattlesnake that was on the back porch. That’s rattlesnake bite #6 for our dogs (or #7, if we count the suspected bite for Clint).
Scary, because “baby” implies a momma and siblings around somewhere.
Scary, because a baby rattlesnake has no rattle and can’t be heard in order for anyone to run away from it.
Scary, because a baby rattlesnake has a different self-protection mode than an adult in dispensing venom and it’s usually a full venom strike.
Scary, because it was on the back porch (too close, too close!).
Moe is fine, home from the vet’s. She’s a little swollen around the jowl, but is back to her normal routine, looking for other rattlesnake toys to play with.