I was making one of the recipes from the book, The Engine 2 Diet: Quinoa, Red Beans and Kale. (Quinoa: that’s “KEEN-wa” not “kwin-OH-wa” as I went around my office, pronouncing it. Luckily only one person knew what I was talking about, so the snickering was minimal.) The quinoa needs to be washed. I followed the directions and used a sieve to hold the quinoa while running water over it. So far, so good. Then came clean up time. The sieve I was using has sort of a cross-hatch pattern. Meaning that the quinoa stuck in the little cross-sections. I couldn’t get out all of the quinoa. I rinsed it. I scrubbed it. I shook it. Nothing doing. Those last little quinoa grains weren’t going anywhere. Well, I decided to leave it be and try again the next day.
Different day, same results. I gave up and gave in. I offered the sieve to my husband, asking if he wanted it for any garage task. He said he thought he could get it clean.
Sure enough, I got home from work the following day and there it was on the counter: quinoa-free.
I think he took it to the car wash and used the pressure washer. What a sweetie.